Hollywood filmmakers and actors are expressing their collective disgust over recent revelations surrounding a rape scene in the movie Last Tango in Paris. Even though the film was released in 1972, a resurfaced interview in 2013 revealed that director Bernardo Bertolucci and actor Marlon Brando conspired against actress Maria Schneider during a rape scene while filming.
Last Tango in Paris Rape scene was NOT consensual
In the controversial scene, Brando’s character sexually assaulted Schneider’s character using a stick of butter. That in itself is disgusting! Bertolucci said he even deliberately kept this detail out of the script to get Schneider’s “reaction as a girl, not as an actress.”
“I didn’t want Maria to ACT with age and humiliation. I wanted her to FEEL humiliated,” Bertolucci said. He then went on to say how Schneider, “hated him” until the actress died in 2011.
Maria Schneider spoke up against the act, but was ignored
Vulture reports that prior to Schneider’s death, the actress had spoken out how she felt “humiliated” and “a little raped” while filming the scene. All this she shared in an interview, but also acknowledging that what Brando “was doing wasn’t real.” To make things worse, Brando was already 48 while Schneider was only 19 years old when they shot the film.
“After the scene, Marlon didn’t console me or apologize. Thankfully, there was just one take,” Schneider said.
Schneider had previously said how the two men only told her about the scene mere moments before it was shot, and expressed regret over not calling an agent or lawyer, because she “didn’t know” that “you can’t force someone to do something that isn’t in the script.”
Prior to her death in 2011, Schneider spoke to Daily Mail and detailed how she fell into a deep depression and refused to do nude scenes again.
Hollywood stars express disgust over Last Tango in Paris
With the news making headlines, several celebrities have denounced this movie and have expressed their disgust and hate both at director Bernardo Bertolucci, who is now 76, and actor Marlon Brando, who passed away in 2004.
Captain America lead Chris Evans tweeted: “Wow. I will never look at this film, Bertolucci or Brando the same way again. This is beyond disgusting. I feel rage.”
Jessica Chastain also took to Twitter to express her dismay saying, “To all the people that love the film, you’re watching a 19-year-old get raped by a 48-year-old man. The director planned her attack. I feel sick.”
Evan Rachel Wood, who recently opened up about her own sexual assault, wrote in response to Chastain’s tweet, “This is heartbreaking and outrageous. The 2 of them are very sick individuals to think that was ok.”
Wow. I will never look at this film, Bertolucci or Brando the same way again. This is beyond disgusting. I feel rage https://t.co/uvaLogvv7I
— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) December 3, 2016
To all the people that love this film- you're watching a 19yr old get raped by a 48yr old man. The director planned her attack. I feel sick. https://t.co/qVDom2gYf6
— Jessica Chastain (@jes_chastain) December 3, 2016
I second that. This is heartbreaking and outrageous. The 2 of them are very sick individuals to think that was ok. https://t.co/Ft4SArjcgd
— #EvanRachelWould (@evanrachelwood) December 3, 2016