Connect
To Top

Super Bowl Winner: Patriots Shock Falcons, 34-28, Tom Brady Gets Fifth Ring!

The New England Patriots are the Super Bowl winners! 2017 belongs to the veterans of the NFL, winning from behind against the Atlanta Falcons, at the RGN Stadium in Houston.

Super Bowl LI between the New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons was full of narratives. The Pats had the league’s stingiest defense, while the Falcons were the league’s best offense. New England, with the legendary Bill Belichick, had veterans and experience on their side; the Atlanta Falcons were young and rising. Few expected them to upset the company led by Tom Brady – a four time Super Bowl winner.

Falcons Grab Early Lead

The first quarter started scoreless, as both teams went at each other with empty possessions.

In the second quarter, however, the Atlanta Falcons came alive, with two touchdowns. The New England Patriots, led by perennial playmaker Brady, tried fighting back. But a long pass with hopes to hook up into a touchdown was intercepted by Robert Alford. The Hawks scored their third touchdown on that interception.

The New England Patriots hit a goal to score, but they still trailed 3-21 at halftime. Atlanta had 68 rush yards to New England’s 35 at that point. As some tweeted at the half, the Patriots out there on the field looked like a completely different team from the one that dominated the season.

Pats Fight Back

In the third quarter, the Pats’ hole sunk even deeper when Atlanta scored yet another touchdown. Tom Brady did a little more moving around on his own, and eventually hit James White for their first touchdown of the game. The Patriots could not convert on the extra point. The Falcons led 9-28.

Atlanta was called young and inexperienced, which is why they were given just a 41% chance of winning against the Pats’ 59%, according to Forbes. Yet they became the first team in Super Bowl history to have three players under 25 years old score touchdowns.

But in the fourth quarter, with the score at 12-28 and around 8 minutes left, the Falcons committed a costly turnover that gave the Patriots a spark of hope. The squad of Matt Ryan tried to respond, but Brady still managed to connect on a touchdown and succeed on the 2-point conversion. The score was 20-28; the Pats were catching up.

The AFC Champions would not give up. They scored yet another touchdown by White, completing a 25-0 run over to tie the game at 28-28. The game would go into overtime.

Overtime

Overtime began with Sudden Death rules. The New England Patriots blasted through the extra period against a persistent Atlanta defense. But once again, Tom Brady had some magic up his sleeve. He finally set up another James White touchdown to complete the comeback and win his fifth Super Bowl.

The New England Patriots are the Super Bowl winners!

Read Also: Lady Gaga Super Bowl LI Halftime Show Highlights [Watch]

More in American Football Corner